The Senior School held their annual Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) week from February 28 to March 3. Thank you to Yael, Cassie, and Chanel for organizing a number of opportunities for us to collectively support our local community:
- On Tuesday, students were encouraged to bring in any extra school supplies to donate to the Salvation Army.
- On Wednesday, students decorated and assembled “Bags of Love’, which included toothpaste, deodorants, socks and soaps that were then donated to Covenant House Vancouver. The RAK Club sold Krispy Kreme donuts to the school community to purchase the supplies for the event.
- On Thursday, students brought in non-perishable food items for City Reach.
- Friday was Teacher Appreciation Day. Students in TAG wrote kind messages about why they appreciate a teacher (or teachers) in the school. The messages were posted on the bulletin board for everyone to appreciate.
RAK Week has become a tradition here at York House thanks to the annual dedication, teamwork, and kindness of our impressive student leaders!
The Senior School wrapped up Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Week (May 16-19) by assembling and decorating 120 “Bags of Love”. The bags contained essential supplies to be donated to marginalized single mothers and their children at YWCA Vancouver Crabtree Corner. The organization provides housing for expecting and new mothers in recovery, child care, parenting programs, a community kitchen, and programs for self-identified women who have experienced abuse.
The Week started with writing “compliment” cards in TAG, which were delivered to the recipients on Tuesday. Wednesday, donations for the Greater Vancouver Food Bank were collected. On Thursday, students gathered together to decorate and assemble their “Bags of Love”.
Thank you, Shoshana, Ava, and Lola in Grade 12 for organizing this initiative, which is now in its third year! Thank you all for helping spread some kindness.
The Junior School also held a Random Acts of Kindness spirit week from March 28-April 1:
- Monday: Mindful Monday. Each student received a RAK Week Scavenger Hunt to strive to complete by the end of the week.
- Tuesday: Comfy, Cozy, Self-Compassion Tuesday. Students dressed in their most comfortable clothing or PJs.
- Wednesday: Wear a Hat Wednesday. Wear a hat to symbolize respect.
- Thursday: Thankful Thursday. Students dressed in floral prints to show their gratitude for flowers and nature. Students also wrote a card to another student in the same grade.
- Friday: Fancy Friday. Students dressed up with the PHE teachers in “fancy” attire.
Students had a blast spreading kindness that whole week!