The most successful athletics season in YHS history came to an unexpected and abrupt stop in March. Unfortunately, many athletes were unable to participate in a busy spring sports season which typically includes track & field, ultimate, badminton, soccer, and tennis.
We were also unable to hold our annual Athletics Awards BBQ. However, together with our athletic heads, we are happy to share with you our 2019-20 Athletics award recipients. Congratulations to all Tigers! A special thank you and congratulations to our graduating seniors who have contributed to our programs for years and helped achieve some incredible results this season.
Looking back at the fall and winter season, the 2019-20 season will be remembered as perhaps the most successful in school history. Below are just some of the top highlights from a very busy six months of sports.
- Senior Volleyball Team: Western Canadian Independent School Champions
- Varsity Field Hockey Team placed 3rd at Vancouver Sea to Sky Zones
- Senior Volleyball Team: Vancouver Sea to Sky Zone Champions
- Swim Team: ISA Champions
- Grade 8 Volleyball Team: ISA Champions
- Swim Team: Vancouver Sea to Sky Zone Champions
- Grade 8 Volleyball Team: LMISSAA League Champions
- Varsity Field Hockey placed 3rd: at AA BC Championships, tying a YHS best ever placement at BCs.
- Cross-Country Team competed at BCs
- Junior Volleyball Team: placed 2nd in LMISSAA League after an epic battle with Notre Dame in the final game.
- Grade 9 Volleyball Team: BC Champions
- Swim Team: AA BC Champions
- Senior Volleyball Team: AA BC Champions for the first time ever in YHS history.
- Senior Basketball Team: ISA Champions
- Ski Team dominated every league meet
- Senior Basketball Team returned to the AA BCs for the first time since 2014 after placing 2nd at Vancouver Sea to Sky Zone Championships.
- Senior Basketball Team placed 3rd, winning bronze at AA BC Championships
- Ski Team placed 3rd, winning bronze at BC Championships
- Table Tennis Team won BC Championships
- These successes all coincide with a return of ample Tigers athletics gear so that our teams and athletes look good, high levels of participation in many sports including YHS fielding record numbers in field hockey.
A special thank you to all our athletes, coaches, parents, fans, and staff that support our student-athletes and teams during the school year. Thank you to our 2019-20 Athletic Heads, Jacqueline, Maddie, Emily, Claudia, Nadeen, and Tash for all their work and spirit this past year.
2019-20 Athletic Award Winners
Tigers Outstanding Performance Award
This award does not need to be presented if there is not a deserving winner.
Criteria: For an outstanding single performance by an athlete or team at a highly competitive, championship-level event (individual student-athlete or team Grade 8-10).
Winner: Senior Volleyball Team final game-winning AA BC Championship
Grade Athlete of the Year Award
Criteria: One per grade. For outstanding participation in, achievement, and an overall commitment to athletics (emphasis on participation).
- Grade 8: Maddie
- Grade 9: Jordan and Tera
- Grade 10: Kasey and Laura
- Grade 11: Nadeen
- Grade 12: Natalie
Junior Athlete of the Year (one top athlete selected from Grades 8-10)
Criteria: For outstanding achievement, participation in, and commitment to athletics (Grade 8-10). Emphasis on achievement.
Senior Athlete of the Year (one top athlete selected from Grades 11-12)
Criteria: For outstanding achievement, participation in, and commitment to athletics (Grade 11-12). Emphasis on achievement.
Becky Willis Award (one top candidate selected from Grades 8-12, we typically look to Grade 12s first).
Criteria: For demonstrating outstanding commitment, leadership, spirit, sportsmanship, and a high level of participation in York House Athletics.
Most Valuable Teammate Award
Criteria: in the opinion of their coach(es) demonstrates the character, leadership, and skills that contribute to team success that qualifies them as the most valuable teammate. You may consider this as an MVP award but often a team may have an individual who is not the most skilled player, the “all-star” or top point scorer but whose leadership and character, combined with their ability is the most valuable individual to the team (one per team).
Grade 8 Volleyball Team:
Avery and MacKenzie
Junior Volleyball Team:
Senior Volleyball Team:
Junior Field Hockey:
Senior Field Hockey:
Varsity Field Hockey:
Grade Basketball Team:
Junior Basketball Team: