Recitation Grand Finale 2020
The York House community gathered on Wednesday, February 12 for the 16th Annual Cat’s Meow: a recitation evening for the grand finals of our school-wide public speaking competition. It was an entertaining evening and huge congratulations are due to all competitors from Grades 8-12: their performances were poised, confident, and compelling. See below for all the finalist names.
Special mention to the following students who took home prizes for their performances:
- People’s Choice (chosen by the audience): Alisa, Grade 12
- Best Junior Speaker: Yiruri, Grade 9
- 1st Runner Up: Alisa, Grade 12
- 2nd Runner Up: Natalie, Grade 12
- Top Overall Recitation: Bianca, Grade 10
- Best Poem Overall: Kiara, Grade 11
We were also privileged to have an esteemed panel of judges for the evening: Raul Sanchez Inglis, a director, producer and writer of film, theatre and TV, with over three decades of experience; Anna Galvin, a well-established actor in film and stage; Isabella Wang, a student, author, and poet, who also acts as assistant editor and youth festival programmer with Room magazine; Zuri Scrivens, a writer and poet whose work has appeared in a variety of publications, including The Writers’ Studio’s Emerge 15; and lastly, Toni Reimer, a professional actor who has performed in many theatre productions.
As always, events such as this one would not be possible without the help of many behind-the-scenes people: thanks to the English Department for their work and guidance during class rounds, to the YHS staff who volunteered to judge the grade finals, Dr. Alex Lesk and Mrs. Reva Morrison for their mathematical skills in the tabs room, and to all the students who helped with welcoming, organizing, ushering, and more!
Finally, a huge thank you to our Public Speaking Heads, Diya, Gr. 10 and Layla, Grade 9, who did a fabulous job of coordinating and running the show on the night.
Congratulations to all, and well done on supporting, building, and growing a vital life skill!
Your Recitation Team: Tanya Boteju, Ingrid Best, and Shannon O’Connor
Recitation Grand Finale 2020 Finalists:
- Ava: “Day 62” by Juliane Okot Bitek
- Tiana: “Not Waving but Drowning” by Stevie Smith
- Lucy: “Eight” by Sue Goyette
- Jane: “Application Form” by Phoebe Wang
- Yirui: “Should Lanterns Shine” by Dylan Thomas
- EmmeT: “i am graffiti” by Leanne Betasamosake Simpson
- Bianca: “Medea” by Euripides, National Theatre Adaptation
- Kasey: “Fighting in Iraq” by Joseph Arnone
- Sabrina: “Talking With…” by Jane Martin
- Sky: “Fire Watch” by Ken Babstock
- Kiara: “Fear of Snakes” by Lorna Crozier
- Adele: “Laughing Wild” by Christopher Durang
- Alisa: “I Ate the Divorce Papers” by Gabriel Davis
- Natalie: “Opus 75, Sestina in B-flat for the Glockenspiel” by Adam Sol